Soak your beans overnight
Place the amount of pinto beans you wish to prepare and cover them with water. Let them sit overnight. This will break the cell walls and will allow the beans to cook a lot faster. Drain and rinse them well.
“I forgot to soak my beans!!!!!”
Ok, so you need to make beans and you forgot to soak them. Not all is lost. You can boil them for an hour, drain and rinse them and then proceed.
- Add beans to your cooking device, cover with water and season with salt, pepper and garlic.
- Stovetop Boiling: Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for ~2 hours
- For the crock pot: Slow cook on low either overnight or all day ~8 hours
- Pressure cooker: if you do not have a ‘beans’ setting, cook on high for 30 min.
- Leave the beans whole
- Drain some of the liquid and pulse with an immersible blender to make ‘refried beans’. No need to add fat!